So, what do you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what do you do?

You know, out there in the real world. Some of you I know, some I don't.

​​​​​​​Last year I transitioned from being a longtime retail employee to home office for Canada's largest book retailer slash "cultural department store," Indigo. I work with the Trade Fiction team, overseeing Inventory for Mystery, Sci-Fi/Fantasy and manga and graphic novels. It's weird to be in such a data-driven role after living the previous 30 years avoiding any unnecessary math. The actual day-to-day stuff is okay, and intermittently stressful when you have to, say, determine exactly how many copies of INFINITY GAUNTLET or AREA X you need to send to stores in advance of the movie.

All I ever really wanted was a job where I get to sit down, so that's nice.

So to the rest of you: what do you do, how did you end up there, are you a "live to work" or or "work to live" person when it comes to your job? (I'm the latter, since there will always be those pesky extra-curriculars that call me back but will probably never be a source of income...)

I always seem to have my fingers in a lot of pies, but at present I and the lead "tech guy" at a local high school. In every job I had previously, I always ended up being the jack-of-all, with my job description ever-expanding. For some reason, I was the go-to to figure out how to do something, and once that was done - it was added to my job.

Tired of that, I decided to focus on IT. I had some skills there, got a few certifications, and here I am now. It is nice to have a job description that doesn't expand into other areas for a change...

Comment

High school English teacher here. I teach seniors, which is nice since they're almost adults and a lot easier to relate to. Also, I teach the college-bound kids, who tend to take things more seriously. This is actually their last week. Once they're gone, I'll be giving end-of-course tests to underclassmen until summer starts.

"Work to live" is a pretty good way to put it. I like many parts of my job, but if I could afford to not do it, I'd be a stay-at-home dad without hesitation.

Comment

Work for the City as a Surveyor. The work is fine, relatively easy and the hours are good. So I can't complain and I don't. I'm lucky in that regard.

Work isn't my life, but my life is better with the work.

Comment

End of Thread Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X