No announcement yet.

What's the last movie you watched?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It occurs to me with your superhero re-watch that you need to include the Marvel One-Shots like Agent Carter, Hail to the King, and A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Thor's Hammer. Not going to add too much time to your list, there are only 5 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Reade View Post
      It occurs to me with your superhero re-watch that you need to include the Marvel One-Shots like Agent Carter, Hail to the King, and A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Thor's Hammer. Not going to add too much time to your list, there are only 5 of them.
      Way ahead of you, my friend. Those, plus the DC Showcase shorts, Fleischer Superman cartoons, and many others are on the list. I'll post a link to what I've watched so far when I get home.

Comment

How about the 1977 Spider-Man Movie?

Comment

All things are eligible.

Comment

Alright, so I've been tracking the rewatch on Letterboxd (it's kind of like Goodreads for movies -- I love it). Any superhero movie -- feature, short, live-action, animated, fanfilms, serials, documentaries, TV pilots, direct-to-video, ANYTHING on the site -- is eligible. I occasionally choose a short at random from a collection on my hard drive, I cruise the cable listings and set it to record things I don't own, and I've been making my way through my DVDs pretty much as the whim strikes me. There's no rhyme or reason, except that I made a point of rewatching all the MCU movies before Infinity War came out. Also, while I've called it a rewatch, I've also included superhero movies I watched for the first time.

Anyway, here are the superhero movies I've watched since Jan. 1 of this year, ranked from most favorite to least favorite: 2018 Superhero Watch

Comment

Continuing the rewatch! Today Eddie joined me in watching Spider-Man 2. So much to like about this movie. The characters develop exponentially beyond the first film, and there's so many great moments. Peter spurning Mary Jane to protect her and losing his powers psychosomatically are quintessential Spider-Man. Alfred Molina takes a villain who had always been somewhat cardboard and made him a figure of tragedy. The scene with May's pep talk is spectacular -- it's never followed up, but Rosemary Harris plays it EXACTLY like a woman who knows what she's really doing, even if it's going to remain unspoken. And then the scene on the train... I'm a sucker for those bits where the ordinary citizens step up and save the hero.

It's not perfect. There's some cheesy dialogue and James Franco goes way over the top, but it's easily the best of the Raimi/Maguire Spider-Man movies.

Comment

The Wife put The Emperor's New Groove on, theorizing that the colors and voices would appeal to the Boy. She appears to be correct.

This is a fun movie, but damn, it makes me miss 2-D Disney animation.

Comment

Have you guys ever watched the Richard Donner cut of Superman II? I mean, I liked the original, but the Donner version is SO MUCH BETTER. In the Lester cut, Lois grows to suspect Clark's secret, confronts him, is convinced she was wrong, then proves the truth because he makes a stupid mistake with the fireplace. In this version, the build is much slower, and we get to see Margot Kidder at her finest, delivering a verbal duel against which the man of steel has no defense. And rather than relying on Clark being stupid for her to find the truth, she outwits him in a scene so perfect that it almost physically hurts to remember most people have never seen it.

The restored scene of Clark asking Joe-El to remove is powers is much better than the scene in the other cut as well, with Reeve giving a great performance indicating the depths of his feelings for Lois. And unlike the theatrical cut, we get an explanation -- and a cost -- for Clark regaining his powers after being told it was impossible.

This movie is a bit incomplete, with some scenes cobbled together with test footage, unpolished special effects, and an odd choice to repeat the end of the first Superman film (changing this is probably the only thing that's better in the Lester cut), but as a blueprint for what might have been, it's wonderful.

Comment

Sometimes the rewatch means ya gotta take one for the team. X-Men: The Last Stand is... let's just say my opinion of this film has not changed.

Comment

School is out, so the Superhero Rewatch is in full effect. I sifted through the various streaming services looking for things I haven't seen before and I stumbled across a little gem on Amazon Prime called Armstrong. A pair of paramedics stumble on what they think is a homeless veteran, but turns out to be a wounded superhero, and they get drawn into his mission to save the world. The movie feels like a grimmer version of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, showing how someone from the street level interacts in a world where things like super-robotic prosthetic arms and doomsday cults are a real thing. I liked this. If you have Amazon Prime, its worth looking up.

Current Rewatch Rank: 30/76.

Comment

Just watched Paddington 2 last night. Both of those are extremely solid movies - 2 wasn't a letdown in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Reade View Post
                          Just watched Paddington 2 last night. Both of those are extremely solid movies - 2 wasn't a letdown in the least.
                          I really need to watch both of these.

Just rewatched Amazing Spider-Man (Garfield, not Hammond). I didn't like it as much as I remembered. It's a surprisingly angry movie. Still, better than Maguire's third film.

Current Rewatch Rank: 32/77.

Comment

Most things are better than Maguire's third film.

And you absolutely do. Very light and entertaining - with some fantastic cinematography.

Comment

Just rewatched X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I'm beginning to question my life choices. It's one thing to make a bad superhero movie, but Gavin Hood actually succeeded in making a boring one.

Current Rewatch Rank: 73/79.

Comment

Supergirl (1984).

Oh, Helen Slater. So lovely. So perfect for the role. Why didn't they put you in a better movie?

Current Rewatch Rank: 54/83.

Comment

End of Thread Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X