No announcement yet.

What's the last movie you watched?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's on my list. It's actually an extensive list. With a one-year-old in the house, my wife and I don't get to the movies nearly often enough. My goal, in this nebulous time between Christmas and my return to work on January 7, is to watch as many of these 2018 releases that I missed out on as possible. I'll do a quickie review of any of them I manage to watch.

First up, "All the Creatures Were Stirring." Bizarre little holiday horror anthology. The segments have some clever ideas, although some of the performances are kind of weak. The whole thing probably looks cheaper than it actually was because of the video quality. It's ironic that something shot digitally comes across as "cheap" even though it technically has a much clearer, superior picture than grainy ol' film, but there you are.

Comment

• Into the Dark: Pooka
      The first Into the Dark film, The Body, was really good. Flesh and Blood was okay. This third one, Pooka, straddles this weird line between being incomprehensible and being completely predictable. Here's hoping the New Year's movie is an improvement.

Comment

• Whenever you do a sequel a long time after the original, there's more at stake. A quick sequel basically means you're cashing in on the original. With a distant sequel, you damn well better have a story worthy of coming back to the original franchise.

Incredibles 2 is more than worthy.

Picking up where the original left off, the movie is not just a rehash of the original story, but a logical extension of what would happen in this world. The complex dynamics of the law in this world are explored in a more dramatic fashion that gives half of the fuel for the story. The other half of the fuel comes in the family drama -- Mom going back to work, Dad feeling in over his head, the two older kids struggling to find themselves, the youngest experiencing those baby growing pains in the most extreme way possible. Every note of this story rings true. It's smart, entertaining, and perhaps even better than the original.
        Although I would get in line for Incredibles 3 tomorrow, if it takes another 14 years before Brad Bird comes up with a worthy idea, I'm okay with it.

Comment

• There are reasons people didn't like Solo: A Star Wars Story, but none that justify the vitriol it received. It's not a masterpiece, but it's fun, it treats the characters well, and there's nice set-up. Sadly, I suspect the set-up will go unfulfilled.

Comment

• My expectations for Venom were pretty low. Not because the internet told me it was bad, but simply because historically, superhero spin-offs that don't link to the character they originated with (Steel, Catwoman) have been awful. It's safe to say I was pleasantly surprised. The creators put together a story that's fairly solid, replacing the Spider-Man elements with a story about aliens and genetic manipulation that may not be groundbreaking, but at least is fun to watch. Plus, that Tom Hardy is pretty much good in anything.

My only two complaints -- the CGI gets to be a bit much at times, and Venom just doesn't look right without a big white spider on his chest to me. But I can live with it.

Comment

• Bird Box.

If this movie had come out two years ago, I would have been scared of the Creatures. I would have been scared by the notion of the world I know ending so horribly. I would have been scared of the notion of losing all sense of myself to some sort of cosmic horror beyond comprehension. Today, I'm scared by the idea of being unable to protect a child. That one is way, way worse.

Comment

• Pacific Rim: Uprising

Visually impressive, but the story and characters don't land the way the original film does. There's an attempt to take the universe in a new direction, which I appreciate, but the direction that's chosen feels disjointed and all over the place. I love the original, and I hope the underperformance of this one doesn't kill future potential.

Comment

• Blake, you have way too much time to see movies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Reade View Post
                    Blake, you have way too much time to see movies!
                    Only until Monday. Then it's back to work.

Game Night:Fun action/comedy with lots of twists and surprises that you genuinely don't see coming. I liked this movie a lot more than I expected.

Comment

• Watching Superman III and I just realized it may be the first big screen Hacker movie ever.

Comment

• And the best part of Superman III is of course the Clark vs Superman fight. And Clark wins like he should!! That is Nerd gold IMO.

Comment

• Does a Netflix documentary count as a movie? We watched Abducted in Plain Sight ... if you ever needed to be convinced that there were humans who will believe anything and make decisions more unbelievably stupid than you could ever imagine, well - this is the film for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by estee_tabernac View Post
                            Watching Superman III and I just realized it may be the first big screen Hacker movie ever.
                            I think War Games came out two weeks before Superman III and has it beat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Reade View Post

I think War Games came out two weeks before Superman III and has it beat!
                              That it does. Heh.

Comment

• I am pretty sure there was some level of hacking in Tron, too. The Internet claims that the first movie with hacking was The Italian Job ... just I've never seen that, so I can't speak to it.

Comment

End of Thread Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X