What are you reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading?

I got a wild hair, and decided to go through the Old Man's War series again. Just finished The Ghost Brigades, and am now on the Sagan's Diary short story. Good stuff, that Scalzi...

Lately, I've been diving back into the world of Magic: The Gathering with the Return to Dominaria serialized story on the publisher's website. Just finished the 4th piece of 7 or so currently available, and then I'll be stuck waiting week-to-week for new pieces.

In the meantime for prose reading, the early WotC-published novels are now available as ebooks, so I can dive back into those on the go. I also just discovered last night that there's a new Alien novel out that I'm going to want to track down.

Then of course the assortment of comics that I get to here and there, and I just finished the August-1993 Ultraverse issues, and getting ready to dive into rereading the September-1993 issues.

Comment

As far as prose goes, I'm currently in Kim Newman's Nightmare Movies, which examines horror cinema from the sixties through the 2010s. I don't read a lot of nonfiction, and when I do, it's usually an analysis of fiction. I'm sure that says something about me, but I don't know what.
      Last edited by Blake M. Petit; 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Finally picked up AREA X/Annihilation with the big hoopla surrounding the movie. Digging it - beautifully written, eerie without being "scary". Taking my time with it, though, picking it up and putting it down every few days.

Comment

I'm reading The Oracle Year by Charles Soule and it is FASCINATING. The idea is a guy gets a bunch of messages about the future pumped into his head - mostly random, seemingly inconsequential things. He realizes all of them start coming true. His buddy talks him into making money off of them by putting them up on a site and when people notice they come true, selling predictions to big corporations for big money. But then the actions and consequences of posting these and selling these and etc etc etc start rippling into each other in incredibly interesting ways. I'm about halfway through, and I hope to be done this within the week - which is fast for me and prose, considering all the comics I have to read these days.

Comment

I’m currently reading Rosemary’s Baby, the 50th anniversary edition. I feel like I should have read it ages ago, but I’m just now getting around to it.

Comment

I just got back to reading novels after nerve damage in my arms made holding a book, or even my kindle impossible for most of last year. Im currently reading Joe Hill's The Fireman which has started well with a good opening premise (a fungal infection plague is causing widespread spontaneous human combustion!) But I'm not yet at the point where I have a handle on what it's about.

Comment

I mean hell, that description alone...

Comment

I thought that as I wrote it! But its the background I think in the same way that The Stand isnt really about Captain Trips

Comment

Originally posted by Jephd View Post
                    I thought that as I wrote it! But its the background I think in the same way that The Stand isnt really about Captain Trips
                    I mean, if you're trying to convince me to read it, you're going a great job.

Comment

Sagan's Diary turned out to be fairly boring... skipped it, and kept going. Caught up on a few issues of Analog and Intergalactic Medicine Show I was behind on, and kept going in the series. Now I am on The Human Division - which is a collected serial rather than a novel. It works - lots of short stories of the aftermath of The Last Colony that are all connected. That's one way of extending the life of a property without overexposing the lead characters in the other books...

Comment

I've been a bit ADD with reading; despite intentions and expectations, I've mainly only gotten through comics lately.

Most recently:

- Batman #47
                        - New Challengers #1
                        - Firearm (1993) #1
                        - Solution (1993) #1
                        - Prototype (1993) #2
                        - Exiles (1993) #2
                        - Freex (1993) #3
                        - Mantra (1993) #3

I've got Prime, Hardcase, and The Strangers #4s up next.

Comment

End of Thread Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X