Return to Dominaria

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Dominaria

The last couple weeks as I've been sucked back into the world of Magic: The Gathering, I've been reminded of how dismaying it's been over the years that they stopped publishing print edition novels (or at least anthologies) for the "lore" of the game.

But over the past week or so, as I've sucked it up and read the story stuff posted online--specifically the Return to Dominaria segments by Martha Wells,I've been finding I'm really enjoying it despite the format. There's definitely a different pacing to the story, one I'm not entirely used to compared to SHORT short stories and full-length novels, so I'm noticing the structural difference and that stuff that probably would be fleshed out and touched on in a novel is just skipped over for this.

But reading these names, the throw-away-ish references to places and events from now-long-ago that I remember reading about in novels published 10, 15, even 20 years ago is a great bit of nostalgia.

And the title is extra appropriate, as the story focuses on this return to Dominaria, but it's also the fact that that game has returned to Dominaria.

And for me, that's really helped suck me back in. Even to the point of buying some cards again just for old time's sake; reading these serialized chapters, and even re-activating my Magic Online account for the first time in nearly a decade.

For better or worse, it's also reignited that "spark" for the books, that has me eager to track down some of the MTG novels I'm missing, as well as wishing I had the time and attention span to re-read the entire series immediately.

Also a thought: Six years ago, I lamented the fact that the early novels were NOT available in ebook format. When I checked again a week and a half ago, several were--including my all-time favorite, The Brothers' War by Jeff Grubb...so I have that in my Nook app on my phone, ready to dive back into. As far as I can tell without much digging, they were just released as ebooks within the last several weeks. Shame it took that long, but I'm happy to know that I can now get them as ebooks, to have onhand to read whenever/where-ever without having to specifically remember to carry a book with me.

Attached Files
    Cover to Magic: The Gathering - The Brothers' War by Jeff Grubb (1998, Wizards of the Coast)
    Last edited by Walt Kneeland; 05-01-2018, 11:39 AM. Reason: figuring out inserting the image properly.

Since posting this last year, I've read through:
    • The Brothers' War
    • Planeswalker
    • Timestreams
    • Bloodlines
    • Time Spiral
    • Planar Chaos
    • Future Sight

And now I'm about 2/3 through Rath and Storm, and debating if I'm gonna re-read the Masquerade Cycle trilogy or skip straight on along to Invasion after.

Also rather annoyed with Wizards of the Coast...I'd have SWORN the Ice Age books were available as ebooks, but for several months now they have not been. Elsewhere online I've found suggestion that they've been available and unavailable over time, which in this age of digital stuff just flabbergasts me.

Comment

That doesn't make a bit of sense. If your only option is to pirate, that is what some people do. It isn't that hard to make something available!

Comment

End of Thread Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X